This programme was initiated to arouse interest for science in motivated medical students early on in their career. Up to 25 grants are available for medical students. This scholarship is offered during their research activity of 8 continuous month. Furthermore, the doctoral students have to complete defined training module during their studies.
- Outstanding performance and commitment in studies
- a demonstrated interest in research, normally proven by initial laboratory work
- approval of experimental doctoral thesis by a department/institute of the Faculty of Medicine
- letter of recommendation by the supervisor which also confirms that a laboratory workspace will be provided and guarantees that the required equipment is available
- an on-going project either funded by IZKF or by any other LOM-listed, third party (at least twice listed) which is being led by the direct supervisor or the doctoral adivsor
- Willingness to work full-time in the laboratory over a period of 9 months (research activity in the course of a stay abroad in a guest laboratory can be recognized half up to a period of 6 months (credit of 3 months)
- student has to be enrolled at the FAU Erlangen-Nürnberg
Training modules and other obligations
The following training modules are obligatory for all participants in the IZKF MD-thesis scholarship programme and can be completed during the period between the start of the scientific research project and the submission of the doctorate.
Regular meetings of the supervision committee with the doctoral student are to be carried out at the beginning of the experimental work, after completion of the experimental works and afterwards annually until the doctorate is submitted.
A protocol of the meetings of the supervision committee is necessary. In addition, a short written report of the doctoral student about the state of the research is to be attached. This report should also contain own publications and third-party funding raised in connection with the doctorate.
||All records must be kept and forwarded to the IZKF Administrative Office after the completion of the programme. (More information: Life@FAU record of study)
Furthermore, the following documents must be submitted to the IZKF office after completion of the full-time research:
◦ Confirmation of full-time research performed
◦ Short report on the research work
◦ Intermediate status of training modules already completed
|After a successful doctoral examination and the completion of all training modules, a certificate for the successful participation in the IZKF MD-thesis scholarship programme is issued. It is possible to issue a provisional certificate for the doctoral candidate’s application phase.|